Talk about reputation! Recently, a fellow consultant was assigned to a new project. During his formal introduction to a room full of former colleagues, a woman leapt from her chair and yelled, “David!” The structured meeting gave way to a huddle of hugs and hearty handshakes. One man, exclaimed, “You don’t even know me, but I have heard your voice on conference calls. It is truly a pleasure to meet you!” David’s excellent reputation was intact after seven years!
Of course, bad reputations are easier to come by. One unacknowledged shortcoming can ruin a pristine reputation. Building an excellent reputation takes time. It is consistent behavior and character that lends itself to a great deal respect and admiration (in order of importance):
- Maintain Integrity: At all costs, it is imperative to be known as the one who will always do right by people.
- Contribute High-Value: Quality work and communication requires effort and dedication; it is worthless without #1.
- Deliver Timely Results: Once a commitment is made, keep it; though timelines may be renegotiated, that should be rare.
- Anticipate Real Needs: Hear what is said and what is not said; respond to subtle changes in messages and expectations.
- Make Honest Mistakes: Admit to errors quickly, fix the problem, and explain what will be done to prevent it in the future.
So, how is your reputation? Using the list above and a scale of 1 – 5 (1 = never, 5 = always), can you give yourself a score of 20 or higher? Those with scores of 23 and up are the ones that get huddles of hugs and hearty handshakes after seven years. They are the ones that outplay other big wigs (known only for their titles and power). They are the ones who have earned (not manipulated) a great deal of respect and admiration.
You should want a good name more than you want great riches. To be highly respected is better than having silver or gold. ~Proverbs 22:1 NIRV
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Michelle Sugerman (PMP, PCC) is a speaker, author, and leadership coach with Leading Synergies. She founded Synergy Groups, virtual masterminds connecting Christians in leadership around the globe for the purpose of Community, Accountability, and Transformation. She also partners with high-performers and heirs-apparent especially in the STEM industries. Michelle’s formal background in technology, franchise, and project management gives her an edge on implementing best practices and scaling towards sustainable success. Michelle lives in Colorado where she hikes fourteeners and enjoys gourmet meals with her loving husband of 22 years.