I have a dear friend who is a physician, I like to tease her by saying I can diagnose any ailment after a quick search on the Internet. She and I both know this isn’t true! In fact, it takes about 42,000 hours or the equivalent of 20 years for a doctor of medicine to complete undergraduate studies, medical school, and residency. Yes, it’s extremely unlikely that the quality of my medical advice would match hers even without her many years of additional experience!
Now, contrast that with your experience over the last twelve months. You happen to be the Go-To Expert on your business, your team(s), and your projects over last year. You know your deepest disappointment, your greatest opportunity, and what you need to learn or practice. If you were a doctor evaluating the health of your leadership, how would you diagnose the last twelve months and what would you prescribe for the next twelve months?
First, the diagnosis*… On a scale from 1 to 4 (where 1 = needs improvement and 4 = excellent) how would you rate the following:
- Commitment: Please consider this separate from performance. This is about setting the best goals, a path toward those goals, and the willingness to sacrifice for those goals. We learned last quarter that progress is often in the pain! How committed were you, really? To what would you like to recommit or to commit for the first time?
- Self-Care: This is about your short- and long-term physical, mental, professional, spiritual health. It’s about knowing which habits work and which don’t. Newsflash! Bad habits, though we get away with them once in a while, won’t ever work in the long run. How would you rank your self-care in the four areas mentioned? Which would you like to tackle this week?
- Growth Edge: This is about intentionally improving a specific behavior or skill. You know I’m gonna challenge you to pick one if you don’t already have one in mind! What would your family or collogues say or recommend about your rough edges? Any highlights?
- Results: Now, on to metrics. This is about what you are measuring: attempts, successes, hours, dollars, net promoter score? Even if you didn’t reach your metrics, I congratulate you on quantifying your activities. If you aren’t assessing your work, what would you like to measure? What would you like to report on in twelve months?
Ok, what’s your score? Any highlights? Any patterns? If you took your time and fully answered the diagnostic questions, you will be equipped to write out a good prescription. Not one from the Internet, but from your own informed, heart-felt, and expert opinion! What’s YOUR prescription?
* Want to get a detailed diagnosis? Take Michelle’s 75-question Business Leadership Assessment and receive a Red/Yellow/Green dashboard report quantifying how you are doing. Includes a 90-Minute Strategy Session which sets up a high-level action plan. Get more information…
— Join a Synergy Group where we will discuss what the
Bible says about Healing. —
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Michelle Sugerman (PMP, PCC) is a speaker, author, and leadership coach with Leading Synergies. She hosts global masterminds, called Synergy Groups, for REALLY BUSY Christians leading with powerful confidence and humble hearts. She works with high-performing leaders focused on organizational effectiveness by refining strategy, inspiring teams, and delighting clients. Michelle specializes in the areas of information technology, project management, franchise management, and business as mission. Michelle lives in Colorado where she hikes fourteeners and enjoys gourmet meals with her loving husband of 22 years.